Monday, November 29, 2010

Taillight Repair

After practicing a bit with the welder, I decided to put the torch on the car this weekend.  I picked about as inconspicuous a place as I could find: the openings around the taillights.  The part I decided to work on first was the little square there on the bottom.  I started to work on it with a brass brush to find good metal, and it turned into a bigger spot than I had thought, so I decided to cut the rust out and make a patch.  While i was in there, I cut out the rusty metal in the trunk, too, so I'll be patching that up pretty soon. 
For the patch, I just used a piece of scrap that I had cut out of the trunk and bent it in my vise.  It came out pretty good.  The weld still needs to be ground down on the outside corner, because I can't quite get the angle grinder in close enough.  I'll have to get a carbide burr for my die grinder.  But really, when the car is put back together, this is all under seam sealer and behind the bumper, so it doesn't really matter.



No comments:

Post a Comment